Home > About Us/ History
The Chelsea Fire Company
The Chelsea Fire Company located in the Town of Wappingers was formed on April 1, 1946. The area was considered “no mans land” as far as fire protection. This meant that no other community was obligated to come to our aid if needed. A group of concerned citizens decided to do something about the situation. It was voted to form a “fire company”. It then became necessary to set the machinery in motion to form a fire district.
However, since this is quite an involved process, a group of nineteen men decided not to wait for a bond and put up $1,800 out of their own pockets for a war surplus fire truck. Thus, we acquired our first piece of equipment, a 1943 Ford Pumper with a 200 gallon tank.
Today, the Chelsea Fire District covers properties in the Town of Wappinger and the Town of Fishkill. This makes up about 8 square miles and covers a portion of the Hudson River. Our fire district includes residential and commercial structures, seven apartment / condominium complexes, Stony Kill Farm an 800 acre state farm and education center, and Dutchess Stadium a minor league baseball stadium home to the Hudson Valley Renegades.
The Castle Point Veterans Hospital is also located within our district. They have their own fire department which is manned 24/7 by career firefighters. They often provide mutual aid to us when necessary.
We remain 100% volunteer. In 2008 our men and woman volunteers answered 453 calls for assistance.